A spin on the famous fast-food breakfast favorite. Crispy, salty hash browns. Eggy tofu scramble. Savory Breakfast Sausage. Melty vegan cheese. All nestled in a big ass tortilla and served up CRUNCHWRAP style. These vegan crunchwraps, or brunchwraps as I like to call them, are everything you need to level up your next brunch!
CRUNCHWRAP : A LOVE STORY
I have a confession. I love Taco Bell. Like, really love. I’m not kidding when I say I could smash $15 worth of Taco Bell and still eat more. It’s not something I’m proud of, but it’s true.
Anyway, since I’ve already made a copycat version of the original Crunchwrap Supreme, I thought I’d give the breakfast crunchwrap a try!
Grab a vegan bloody mary and let’s get to making the best Vegan Breakfast Crunchwraps!
THE BREAKFAST CRUNCHWRAP MIGHT POSSIBLY BE THE BEST BRUNCH FOOD OF ALL TIME
Think of these vegan breakfast crunchwraps as everything you love about breakfast and the crunchwrap. It combines the best of both worlds! My breakfast crunchwraps are:
- easy to make
- like, really really delicious
HOW TO MAKE A CRUNCHWRAP
I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. Crunchwraps are easy af to make. Although it might look a little difficult, it’s not. Crunchwraps are just a slightly sophisticated burrito … so, if you can make a burrito, you can make a breakfast crunchwrap.
First, prep all your ingredients. I kept the filling for my brunchwraps simple with hash browns, my favorite vegan sausage, tofu scramble, and vegan cheese shreds. Once you’ve got all your ingredients prepped and ready, start building your loaded breakfast crunchwrap.
TIME TO FOLD
Once you’ve got your breakfast crunchwrap folded, all you need to do at this point is fry them in a nonstick skillet and prepare to have your mind blown.
HOW I LIKE TO EAT MY BREAKFAST CRUNCHWRAP
Obviously, you can load up your breakfast crunchwrap with any and everything you love to eat for breakfast and brunch. While I like to keep mine simple, some other good fillings would be :
- tempeh bacon
I like to eat my breakfast crunchwraps with my favorite hot sauce on the side, and some maple syrup. Shoutout to all my sweet and savory lovers out there! Honestly, the best part about these brunchwraps is that they are completely customizable.
HOW TO FREEZE YOUR BREAKFAST CRUNCHWRAP
You read that right – these vegan crunchwraps are your freezer’s new best friend. With the holidays creeping up fast, you need an arsenal of freezer-friendly meals that are ready to go for those days you cannot be bothered with cooking. Trust me when I say your future self will be thanking you! These brunchwraps are the perfect make-ahead breakfast item. To freeze them, make a big batch according to the directions. Store them airtight in ziploc bags. When you’re ready to eat them, pop them in the oven at 375° F until they’re golden brown and melty, about 10-15 minutes, or – if you’re in a rush or on the go, pop them in the microwave for a few minutes until they’re completely warmed through.
VEGAN BREAKFAST CRUNCHWRAP AKA THE BRUNCHWRAPCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Vegan
The Breakfast Cruncwrap – AKA The Brunchwrap! Your favorite vegan breakfast items all wrapped up with melty cheese and pan fried to a golden, crispy perfection!
1 LB frozen hashbrown potatoes
5 TBS avocado oil, separated
1 TBS cajun seasoning, such as Slap Ya Mama
1½ LBS vegan sausage crumbles
1 – 16 oz container extra firm tofu, drained but not pressed
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp black salt AKA Kala Namak *
4 extra large burrito-style flour tortillas *
Favorite vegan cheese shreds *
4 TBS vegan butter
Hot sauce, for serving
Maple syrup, for serving
- Cook the hash browns with 3 tablespoons avocado oil according to package directions on a non-stick skillet, seasoning with Slap Ya Mama. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- In the same pan on medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and vegan sausage, breaking it up into bite size pieces with the back of a wooden spoon, and cook until warmed through and slightly crisp at the edges, about 5-7 minutes. Place cooked sausage on a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan used to cook hash browns and sausage, add last tablespoon of oil. On medium high heat, crumble the tofu into the pan with your hands. Season with pepper and turmeric. Cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Turn of the heat, and add black salt, tossing to combine.
- Layer hash browns, sausage, tofu scramble, and vegan cheese into the center of your tortilla. Fold the edges of the tortilla inward, using one of your hands to keep each fold in place (it should make the shape similar to a hexagon).
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter (1 tablespoon per crunchwrap). Once the butter has melted, cook breakfast crunchwrap folded side down and until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, flip, and cook the other side an additional 5-6 minutes. Repeat until you have 4 breakfast crunchwraps in total. Cut in half and serve with hot sauce and maple syrup. ENJOY!
- * black salt is high in sulfur, which makes it extremely egg-tasting. This seasoning is optional, but I definitely recommend it if you want to level up your tofu scrambles. I buy it on Amazon. Black salt can also be found at many Indian specialty markets.
- *If you plan on getting real crazy with your vegan crunchwrap and you want it super loaded, you can add a “tortilla filler” over the top of your crunchwrap before folding. This may require more tortillas!
- * I love most vegan cheeses, but I find the brands that melt the best are Daiya Cutting Board Shreds (has to be CUTTING BOARD line), Violife shreds, and the brand from Whole Foods – 365 Cheese Alternative